TRANSLATION -- select your language below:

May 22, 2012

A rose by any other name . . .

I went on a field-trip yesterday to the International Rose Test Garden in Portland, where I saw among their thousands of roses some beds of the 'Queen Elizabeth' and 'Voodoo' roses.  As mementos, I photographed their respective rose-bed markers:


As you have read (or will read, depending on whether you read this blog from bottom to top or from top to bottom), these two rose varieties play a prominent role as seed parents in my production of new roses.  All of my 75+ seedlings, with one exception, are un-named (I identify them by their parent and their "birthday").  The one exception is the rose seedling which I named 'Red Galaxy', and which is now registered with the American Rose Society.  For a look at this rose, you may click on the page tab "German seedlings" at the top of this blog (you will find that the rose is appropriately named).  To see some REAL red galaxies, search for "red galaxy" on Google Images.

Update of June 17, 2012:  I've been waiting to get some presentable photos of my own 'Queen Elizabeth' and 'Voodoo' roses in bloom.  The rose bushes shown below have yielded most of the hips and seeds that I have used to produce my new rose seedlings.


'Queen Elizabeth' grandiflora rose
Photo taken June 12, 2012
'Voodoo' hybrid tea rose
Photo taken June 17, 2012