TRANSLATION -- select your language below:

May 25, 2020

Standing TALL

There's two rose bushes in my backyard that rise above the rest, each standing a stately 8 feet tall.  They were both grown from seed from the same parent rose and were "born" just 8 days apart back in 2009, which now makes them 11 years old.  The parent was one of my 'Queen Elizabeth' roses which I just let open pollinate to obtain hips and seeds.  It's highly probable that the 'QE' rose just self-pollinated, as the two seedling roses bear likenesses to their parent (and grandparents).  Surprisingly, when I looked back at the "baby photos" that I saved for the seedlings, I re-discovered that they had their very first blooms on the same day -- June 1, 2009.

The featured TALL roses are in the rear.  The other roses seen in the photo are also seedlings,  and are also "children" of 'Queen Elizabeth' --

Photo taken:  May 25,  2020

And here's what the first blooms looked like when the plants were less than 3 months old.  I positioned the two photos so that the roses would be directly underneath their "future selves" --

Seedling born on:  March 11, 2009
First bloom:  June 1, 2009
Seedling born on:  March 19, 2009
First bloom:  June 1, 2009