TRANSLATION -- select your language below:

December 17, 2011

A "crown" befitting a Queen

Just one more thing before I go on Winter break.  I wanted to show you something from the garden, where the roses are enjoying their much deserved rest.  One of my 'Queen Elizabeth' seedlings has a remarkably symmetrical crown.  This is something that you are not very likely to see on other roses, especially the budded kind.  This bush is just 1 month shy of being 4 years old.

Birthday: 1/23/2008    Photo taken: 12/17/2011
First bloom: 6/26/2008

Update of June 2, 2012:   The "birthday" of January 23, 2008 is significant, because this seedling is the first of all of my seedlings to be born here in Salem.  The seedling is now 4 years and 4 months old; it is a substantial rose bush standing nearly 6 feet tall.  Below are a couple of photos that I took today.  The first photo revisits the seedling's crown which has been cleared of a few non-productive canes and has added a few new ones.  I hope that the second photo does justice to this really impressive rose bush.




Update of August 14, 2012:   I had to back away today to fit most of the rose bush into the next photo.  I measured its height to be exactly 7 feet, and it's a little bit older now, at 4 years and 7 months.