TRANSLATION -- select your language below:

December 7, 2011

I just knew this was a seedy blog

In my previous post,  I explained what to do to obtain ripe hips that will contain viable seeds.  Within a day or so after harvesting the hips, I open them, extract the seeds, and then plant the seeds without delay.  (Remember: you may need to pre-chill your hips/seeds if you live in a warmer climate.)   I like to use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, with which I fill 3 inch pots, and then add water to moisten the soil.  I plant 4-5 seeds per pot at a depth of around a quarter of an inch.   I put as many of the pots that will fit onto those black plastic tray things that come with transparent domes and then place them on a table close to a window at regular room temperature.  Then it's time to wait !    The majority of my seeds germinate at around 3 to 5 months, with a few as early as 1½ months.  Around the month of March the following Spring, I move the covered tray outdoors and wait some more.  After 6 months or so, I pretty much shut it down, if you know what I mean.   If you have lived a righteous life, your seeds will begin to sprout like this:



Wow, that looks like a giant pot !   Actually, it's one of those 3 inch pots into which I planted 4 seeds around the corners (but not too close to the sides) and maybe a fifth seed in the center.  The pot is sitting on a window sill so that the little rose seedling will get better light.  The photo was taken on the seedling's "birthday" -- January 13, 2011.  After a couple of weeks or so, I VERY GENTLY extricate the seedling and move it to its own larger (4 inch) pot.

I think I get around a 20 percent germination rate.  Unfortunately, you'll find that not all seedlings are created equal and that some will die within a few weeks.  That's just the way it is.  The majority seem to survive, and those are the ones that I shuttle outdoors in their 4 inch pots to "harden off" as weather permits.  I always place the outdoor pots behind protective fencing, so that squirrels will not be digging around.  In fact, even after I plant the seedling out in the garden, I'll use protective fencing for all of the first growing season and a good part of the second.  Here's a photo that demonstrates what I'm talking about (click on the photo to enlarge it):



See, no squirrels !  The above plant is a seedling of the hybrid tea rose named 'Voodoo'.  The seedling was born on April 29, 2011 and the photo was taken today, December 7, 2011.  Here's what the seedling's first bloom looked like (the protective screen was briefly removed);  the photo was taken on July 8, 2011:



So there you have it -- the "Secrets of the Temple".   As you probably already know, there is a wealth of information about growing roses from seed out there on the Internet.  Choose whatever methods that you can get comfortable with, and GOOD LUCK  !