TRANSLATION -- select your language below:

December 6, 2011

A Seattle garden

In late 1996 I bought a house in Seattle and proceeded to carve out rose gardens in both front and back yards.  I grew store-bought roses for several years, the result being what you see in the following photos:
 
Front yard
Back yard
Of particular note is the tall pink-blossomed rose growing to a height exceeding that of the patio cover.  The plant was the 'Queen Elizabeth' rose.  Since I am an advocate of light pruning, the rose plant was very obliging and grew to over 10 feet tall !  I was glad to get on a step ladder to deadhead this plant -- anything to keep it happy.  It made such an impression on me that I chose this rose variety again as the mainstay of my rose growing when I switched to growing roses from seed.  This was after I moved from Seattle to Salem, Oregon in 2007.